St. Joseph Diabetes
and Nutrition Center
Within the Center a comprehensive program provides education and training to assist individuals with diabetes in developing self-management skills for use in controlling the disease. The program, which is recognized by the American Association of Diabetes Educators includes individual and group classes facilitated by certified diabetes educators (CDEs). Individual followup with the registered nurse and/or registered dietitian is designed to promote ongoing success with diabetes management. The center also provides individual medical nutrition therapy (MNT) services; help with insulin titrations, continuous glucose monitoring and insulin pump management.
A Full Range of Resources for People with Diabetes
- Training by Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE®).
- Individual or small group settings.
- Education and training about managing your diabetes. Topics include meal planning; getting regular activity; understanding and managing highs and lows; avoiding complications; coping with your feelings about diabetes, and more.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy tailored individually for people with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, celiac disease, kidney disease, as well as people who require weight management.
- Insulin pump and/or sensor training and management.
- Diabetes medication management.
- Free support group for people with diabetes and their families/caregivers.
MEET OUR STAFF
Lori Downs RN, CDE
A Certified Diabetes Educator providing outpatient diabetes care in a one-to-one setting. Services include injection teaching, insulin training and ongoing insulin management support, as well as insulin pump and sensor training and management. Lori is a graduate of the University of Maine.
Julie Hovencamp RDN, CDE
A Registered Dietitian nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Educator providing dietary education and counseling in a one-to-one setting. Areas of specialty include weight management, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and celiac disease. Julie offers diabetes education sessions in a group setting and is the coordinator of the Diabetes and Nutrition Center’s support group. She is a graduate of the University of Maine.
Sheryl Sparlin FNP, CDE
A family Nurse Practitioner Certified Diabetes Educator and diabetes management specialist. She is a graduate of the Family Nurse Practitioner program at Husson University.
Just Watching your Weight? We Can Help
While weight management is a vital part of diabetes treatment, we can also assist people without diabetes who are just looking to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
Our providers can show you how to manage your weight using proven, safe medical and nutritional principles. Our experts prescribe nutritious yet satisfying dietary recommendations to help keep you on track. We work with your primary care provider to ensure your weight management plan fits your overall health care objectives.
Download a Brochure
Recognized by AADE
St. Joseph Diabetes and Nutrition Center
St. Joseph Healthcare Park - Building 3
900 Broadway, Bangor, Maine
Telephone: (207) 907-1187