St. Joseph General Surgery
Department of St. Joseph Hospital
St. Joseph General Surgery offers a range of general surgical procedures, from esophageal surgery to colonoscopy.
St. Joseph General Surgery offers many services, including the following:
- Hernia repair. Many hernias are now repaired using minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques.
- Gallbladder removal. Most gallbladder procedures are also performed laparoscopically.
- Bowel surgery. Used to treat a variety of colon and rectal diseases, including inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids and more.
- Esophageal surgery. Performed to treat esophageal cancer, reflux disease or GERD, as well as motility or functional disorders.
- Endocrine surgery. Thyroid and parathyroid surgeries are a specialty of Dr. Starks.
Offices at Suite 207 - St. Joseph Hospital
360 Broadway, Bangor, Maine
Fax: (207) 907-3660
Surgical procedures can be performed in the modern Surgery Center at St. Joseph Hospital with its caring staff, including its own dedicated anesthesia team.
Meet Our Providers
Michael Starks MD
Dr. Starks earned his medical degree at the University of Washington School of Medicine. Later he completed his Surgery residency at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery. In his spare time, he enjoys sailing, fishing, Kayaking, hiking, stained glass and photography.
Kshitij Kakar MD
Dr. Kakar completed his surgical internship at Rhode Island Hospital-Brown University, Povidence, RI. He did his residency at the University of Texas Health Center, San Antonio. He also completed a fellowship in Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery at University Hospitals-Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH. He is also fellowship trained in laparoscopic surgery and anti-reflux surgery. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery. In his spare time he enjoys working out, running, soccer, swimming, reading, music, cooking and travel.
Karis Filteau PA-C
Ms. Filteau is a graduate of the University of New England Physician Assistant Program. She is certified by the NationalCommission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Tracy Bennett PA-C
Ms. Bennett holds a Masters Degree in Physician Assistant Studies from the University of New England. She is certified by the National Commision on Certification of Physician Assistants.