St. Joseph Healthcare owes its existence to the Felician Sisters of the Enfield, Connecticut Province, who founded the Organization in 1947. The St. Joseph Healthcare ministry is rooted in the tradition of Felician Foundress Blessed Mary Angela’s vision of renewing society through compassionate caring of the whole person in all circumstances.
1940's – 1950's – 1960's – 1970's – 1980's – 1990's – 2000's
October 20, 1946
Felician Sisters of Our Lady of the Angels Province, Enfield, Connecticut, received a request from Miss Carol Strauss to purchase the Paine Private Hospital located on Center Street in Bangor, Maine.
April 29, 1947
The Felician Sisters agreed to purchase the hospital and the name of the facility was changed to St. Joseph Hospital.
back to top
The Ford Foundation awarded a $130,000 grant to the hospital. The money was earmarked for the construction of a two-room addition to the hospital on the north side. One section became a small pediatric ward. The other section became the doctors’ lounge, dressing room, library and conference room
back to top
After much discussion, praying and planning, the administration of St. Joseph Hospital presented the plans to construct a new facility. The project was approved and blessed by Bishop Daniel Feeney on March 1, 1960. The official news was announced to the media on May 10, 1960.
The Fleming property on Center Street was purchased for $20,000. Renovations and a new section brought the final cost to $33,000. This property would serve as the School of Nursing from 1963 to 1981.
March 19, 1962
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new St. Joseph Hospital were held on the Feast of St. Joseph.
October 11, 1964
The city of Bangor celebrated the formal dedication of the new St. Joseph Hospital. Msgr. Edward Ward supervised the laying of the cornerstone. The event was attended by a large number of dignitaries and presided over by Mr. Norbert X. Dowd, executive secretary of the Bangor Chamber of Commerce.
November 21, 1964
On this day, patients moved from the old to the new St. Joseph Hospital.
back to top
September 13, 1977
St. Joseph Hospital officially inaugurated the Ambulatory Surgical Unit. At the time it was the only hospital in Maine with a self-contained outpatient surgery unit.
Together with officials in East Corinth, St. Joseph Hospital opened a clinic to help meet the medical needs in the small town.
St. Joseph Hospital introduced mammography services in its Radiology Department.
Old Town Health Center was established to serve the people of Old Town and the surrounding areas.
back to top
The hospital launched a campaign for a new Critical Care Unit with a target of $350,000.
March 14, 1981
Property on the corner of French and Congress Streets was purchased for the new Sisters’ residence.
The School of Nursing moved to a new location at 325 Center Street.
The Occupational Therapy Department was instituted.
September 27, 1981
A ribbon cutting was held for the newly renovated St. Joseph Hospital Critical Care Unit dedicated to Samuel J. and Doris C. Rosen.
Sr. Mary Romuald, director of Social Services, initiated the first St. Joseph Hospital Hospice program.
October 10, 1982
St. Joseph Hospital administration worked with the Old Town Redevelopment Group to construct a health center for $93,000. The dedication and ribbon cutting for this building were held on this date.
A four-unit medical building was established at the site of the former School of Nursing on Center Street.
March 16, 1984
Mammography at St. Joseph Hospital expanded and a section of the Radiology Department was designated as the William H. Rosen Breast Diagnostic Center.
October 14, 1984
The newly renovated Ambulatory Surgery Unit was opened.
April 25, 1985
The Mother Angela Office Building was dedicated. The Fiscal Department transferred to the new office building from the main hospital building.
St. Joseph Healthcare purchased Alternative Care Nursing Services, which has evolved into the present-day St. Joseph HomeCare, a full service home health agency.
September 2, 1988
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Center for Advanced Medicine.
January 16, 1989
The new Respiratory Unit began admitting patients. The kidney stone lithotripsy program was established at St. Joseph Hospital.
back to top
February 9, 1990
The Stone and Urology Department was opened at the Center for Advanced Medicine.
March 12, 1990
A new Orthopedic Unit was opened and dedicated.
The Center for Advanced Medicine was dedicated.
MRI services were offered to the community through St. Joseph Hospital.
September 29, 1992
The Maine Center for Osteoporosis Research and Education was opened at St. Joseph Hospital under the direction of Dr. Clifford Rosen.
October 14, 1992
St. Joseph Healthcare officially opened its new fiscal/business office complex on Perry Road.
March 18, 1993
St. Joseph Healthcare announced the beginning of a multi-million dollar construction project to renovate and expand the hospital. The project encompassed a new Emergency Department, inpatient and outpatient surgical suites and patient rooms.
Seven St. Joseph Hospital departments moved to Stillwater Avenue, the newest St. Joseph Healthcare facility.
September 16, 1995
A ceremonial “knocking down” of a wall marked the kick-off of St. Joseph Hospital’s building project.
November 21, 1996
Phase One of St. Joseph Hospital’s construction/renovation project reached completion. A ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication were held for the new Emergency Department.
March 20, 1997
Phase Two of St. Joseph Hospital’s construction project, the new Surgical Suites and Patient Tower, was completed.
May 16, 1997
St. Joseph Hospital opened its new Wound and Hyperbaric Medicine Center.
Site preparation began for a four-building complex located at 900 Broadway.
Most of St. Joseph Healthcare’s affiliated, off-campus offices were consolidated at the new 900 Broadway location in the St. Joseph Healthcare Park.
back to top
March 31, 2000
Construction and renovations were completed in the Pre-Admission Testing Area and Pain Management Department on the third floor.
July 31, 2000
Construction and renovations were completed in the Radiology Department.
St. Joseph Hospital became the first facility in Maine to offer full field digital mammography at its Regional Breast Care Center in Bangor.
October 31, 2000
Construction and renovations were completed in a new area on the fifth floor designated for Cardiology and Nuclear Medicine departments.
Construction began on a three-story addition to house a fixed-base MRI.
Official ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the new MRI Center, which features a patient-friendly fixed-base MRI unit.
January 4, 2003
Dedication and ribbon cutting for a new diagnostic Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory was held, with the guests of honor including Most Rev. Michael Cote, Auxiliary Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland; and Maine Gov. John Baldacci.
St. Joseph Healthcare’s Center for Sleep Medicine relocated to a new, stand-alone facility at 268 Center Street. The four-bed sleep study unit was completely upgraded with state-of-the-art monitoring equipment as part of the move.
St. Joseph Hospital became the first hospital in Maine to offer MRI-guided breast biopsies, a new diagnostic tool which allows early detection and, if necessary, rapid, outpatient biopsies for younger women who have been identified as having significant risk factors for breast cancer.
St. Joseph Hospital opened a renovated Endoscopy suite, with additional capacity to handle increased demand for this important screening and treatment procedure for colorectal cancer and other diseases.
July 29, 2010
The Felician Sisters, Sponsors of St. Joseph Hospital since 1947, officially transferred sponsorship to Covenant Health Systems. The decision to move toward full membership within Covenant Health Systems was made to ensure the long-term viability of St. Joseph Healthcare as a Catholic-identified ministry.
back to top